Opportunity knocks for reluctant reds

By Scott Johnson on Feb 19, 13 03:23 PM in

With the team doing so well, opposition to the rebrand has been largely dormant recently. Not any more.

1Cardiff.jpg

Vincent Tan's scarf giveaway has presented disgruntled fans with the perfect opportunity to reiterate that they remain against playing in red and would also oppose any of his future whims.

With huge shirt and ticket sales, Tan would be forgiven for thinking that his changes have been embraced and accepted, hopefully Tuesday night will demonstrate otherwise.

The majority of fans have been depressingly apathetic to the change from blue to red, or grudgingly tolerant. Those stoically opposed are a vocal minority and will take great pleasure in rejecting their free scarf ahead of the game against Brighton.

I remain firmly against the changes, but continue to support the team. I sympathise with those that feel Cardiff City playing in red is not for them and admit to pangs of shame about the whole situation at times. I cannot identify with grown men and women that have chosen to buy the red shirt, supporting the team is one thing but by wearing the shirt, you are making a statement, whether you like it or not. I resent that fans are divided when they should be united behind a team heading for the Premier League.

The scarf in question, exclusively red and omitting 'City' from Cardiff, is as insensitive and inappropriate as you would expect. It is also comes with the potential reward of a free season ticket for next season if you are photographed wearing it. Suffice to say, the main talking point has revolved around how to dispose of the scarf in the most visible way possible, as opposed to the prize on offer. I'm enthused by the reaction as disillusioned fans are usually outnumbered and shouted down by those that consider no compromise too great if it delivers Premier League football.

The timing of this gesture is also bizarre, whether to coincide with Tan's forthcoming birthday or as a sweetener ahead of further tinkering. It has taken the attention away from team when they deserve to be the focus of attention and I doubt Malky will have appreciated the distraction either. What it has provided is an opportunity for fans to make a clear statement, by both rejecting the scarf and wearing blue.

Without establishing a method of boycotting the scarves that everyone is willing to adhere to, whether leaving them on seats or in a pile somewhere, it is likely that the impact of various different ideas will be minimal. Where fans can make a striking impression is by wearing blue, all blue everything, at a game where the owners are hoping to witness a sea of red.

Whether you have embraced the rebrand, rejected it or remain somewhere in between, if you still feel strongly about the identity of your football club, make the effort to wear blue on Tuesday.

It is your only effective means of protest and it is also now or never. You will never get another opportunity like this again.

From: Bedwas

From: Dinas Powys

From: Gloucestershire

From: Merthyr