Cardiff v Brighton relived: Robin Friday soaked team-mates clothes after his early bath

By Gareth Rogers on Feb 18, 13 05:12 PM in

Robin Friday was fed up. He'd been sent off after falling out with Brighton's Mark Lawrenson at their old Goldstone Road ground in 1977 - and took it out on his own team-mates!
They returned to the away dressing room after the final whistle and discovered that Friday had thrown all of their clothes, everything he could find, into the team bath.
1Friday.jpg

"There had been quite a battle between Robin and Brighton's Lawrenson," said David Giles, who was in the Bluebirds squad. "I was on the bench and went on for Steve Grapes when we were 2-0 down in front of nearly 23,000 spectators.
"It all flared up just after half-time when Lawrenson tackled Robin and he didn't like the challenge. So he kicked out and was sent off.
"We lost 4-0 and when we got back to the dressing room we knew Jimmy Andrews would have something to say. One of the lads went into the shower room to get out of the way and he shouted 'Robin's thrown all our clothes into the bath'.
"Brighton had a big plunge bath and all our gear was floating in it. We wrung our underwear out and had to put that on. The rest of our stuff was soaked and we borrowed tracksuits from Brighton to wear home.
"Robin got a club suspension for that and only played once more for Cardiff. That was at Bolton six weeks later and we lost 6-3.
"He missed training several times and told the manager he was packing in football.
"I think the manager and directors were a bit relieved, but the lads were sorry in some ways. He was such a liability at times, but also an extremely good player.
"You had to laugh at some of the things he got up to - unless it affected you. He would always call the manager 'Archie' after the ventriloquists dummy.
"Robin came to a sad end, found dead in his Ealing flat during December 1990. He could have been such a great player."

Cardiff City starting line-up (v Brighton): Bill Irwin, Brian Attley, Paul Went, Keith Pontin, Freddie Pethard, Steve Grapes, Alan Campbell, John Buchanan, Peter Sayer, Robin Friday, Keith Robson.

From: Bedwas

From: Dinas Powys

From: Gloucestershire

From: Merthyr