Cardiff City's FA Cup horror show - 'A great advert for red'

By Gareth Rogers on Jan 8, 13 10:53 AM in

Before I start, let me just say that I still don't understand or accept why Cardiff City had to change their kit from blue to red last summer - and I probably never will.
But one comment made at half time last Saturday has given me plenty of food for thought on the subject.
After an abject 45 minutes on the field I stood between Moss Rose's crumbling open away terrace and the even more run-down toilet facilities and somebody said to me: "This is the best advert for red we could have had."
And even with my staunch stance on the subject, I could not disagree with the sentiment.
When the draw was made, the idea of a trip to Barrow or Macclesfield seemed so romantic. "It would be like the good ol' days" we said. "Let's hope we can stand on an open terrace in the rain."
After 45 minutes on Saturday, the novelty wore off and all the talk was about just how dark the 'dark' days actually were.
1FA Cup.JPG

The last thing a club that has developed so much in terms of support and infrastucture wants is to drop back to playing at that level. It really isn't fun.
I love blue, I love the Bluebirds and I can't work out why we couldn't have signed Craig Noone, Nicky Maynard, Matt Connolly, Kim and Tommy Smith et al without turning red.
But if the investment did hinge on the colour change then, whether traditionalists like me like it or not, we have to accept that the club needed it.
If we want to watch that standard of football every week, there are plenty of clubs around that can provide that.

From: Bedwas

From: Dinas Powys

From: Gloucestershire

From: Merthyr