Former Cardiff City star Kenny Miller on rebrand, Rangers and his football future

By Scott Johnson on Nov 14, 12 11:41 AM in

Our man Scott Johnson caught up with former Cardiff City striker Kenny Miller...

Tweet me at @roathboy

You scored your first MLS goal recently, how are you finding it in Canada?

"I'm really enjoying it, it's been a change. It's taken a little bit longer than I would have liked to get settled in, but I'm feeling pretty good now."

How does the standard of football compare to the other leagues you've played in?

"It's good. It's a different style of football, there's a lot of different aspects to the football here that can take its toll. The travelling and that kind of thing so it's a little different from being back home, but the standard is very good. There's a high level of technical ability in this league and it's something I'm really enjoying at the moment."

1Kenny Miller.jpg

You have a Scottish head coach and assistant coach, do you think that will help you retain your place in the Scottish national side?

"Not really, I think what will help me to keep my place is if I'm playing regularly and playing well and scoring goals, That's ultimately what forwards are judged on, so as long as I'm still performing and playing at a decent level, then I think I will be ok."

You scored 11 goals in 50 games during your time with Cardiff, how do you reflect on your time at the club?

"I had an enjoyable year last year. We kind of fell at the final hurdle towards in the end with regards to promotion but we had a pretty successful year I think, for the manager's first season in charge and all the changes he made."

The rebranding of Cardiff took place as you were leaving the club. They will now wear red at home as part of a big investment by the club's Malaysian owners. As a former player what are your feelings on the changes?

"They will always have the history of being the Bluebirds, and I think it's still their name. Obviously they'll rebrand it with regards to what the owners are looking at doing with the club, but at the end of the day, as a football player you kind of go on and you accept these things and you kind of stick to the football. You don't really worry about things that are going on off the field, so I'm sure the players they have and the new ones that come in will try to go in there and push the club forward and take them where they should be, which is in the Premier League."

Do you sympathise with the fans that have cut ties with the club or do you think they should stand by the club regardless of the colour change?

"The fans are what make clubs, obviously their opinion is they wouldn't want this to happen but I think a lot of them realise that it was a big opportunity for the club. It was a lot of investment in the club to hopefully take them to where all the fans want to be, which is ultimately the Premier League. So I think if they reach that goal this year, I don't think the fans would care too much whether they're playing in red or blue."

Another of your former clubs, Rangers, are experiencing difficult times. How do you feel about their insolvency? You were playing for the club less than two years ago, did you have any indication of what fate had in store for the club?

"I don't think anybody involved with the club imagined it was going to get to the level it got, but they've got a great manager in charge and they've got a really good staff behind him and then there are the fans. When I check the results I see the team gets 45-48,000 fans at Ibrox, so they've got a great set of fans and a fantastic coaching team in charge that I'm sure will take them back to the top division."

What are your goals when your playing career finally ends? Are you hoping to pursue a coaching or managerial career, or do you have designs on pursuits outside of football?

"Hopefully it's a few years away, obviously when you get to this stage of your career you start to think about it. I would definitely like to stay in football in some kind of capacity. I have got aspirations to be a manager, a coach, and take any kind of route you can to get into that game but for me I'd love to go into the management side of it."

From: Bedwas

From: Dinas Powys

From: Gloucestershire

From: Merthyr