They have to wear red, you don't

By Scott Johnson on Jul 31, 12 12:09 PM in Cardiff City

"Any Cardiff City fan who buys the new red shirt is a coward. The only power fans still have is to withhold money. You'll be OK, believe me" Danny Baker, broadcaster

Cardiff City fans are divided. There are those intent on campaigning for a return to blue, with some going one step further and throwing in the towel, cutting their losses and requesting a refund on their season ticket. On the other side, you have those that will support the team no matter what, who regard watching a Cardiff team playing in red as preferable to watching them crash and burn like Portsmouth. Both raise valid points and the situation is far from black and white, neither side is likely to back down either.

There was an ugly exchange between both parties last week at a Keep Cardiff Blue meeting, where threats were made regarding proposed peaceful protests. This emotive issue is in danger of overshadowing what takes place on the pitch and common ground needs to be found.

Cardiff City red kit

One aspect that both sides can agree on is that they do not want Cardiff to play in red, whether grudgingly accepting or vehemently against.

So don't buy it.

How great would it be if nobody bought the red shirt? With a blue alternative available, why would you buy it? I appreciate that the majority of Cardiff fans only attend home games and they will only see their team play in red, but you will be sat in a blue stadium with blue seats, supporting your bluebirds. There is so much baggage associated with the red kit and they will be playing every other game in blue anyway. If everyone continued to wear blue it would represent an impressive display of solidarity, the perfect peaceful protest that would not create a negative vibe within the stadium.

Inter Milan have also been burdened with an unwanted red kit for next season, a strip that apparently "honours" the team with "bold team colors and symbols." Their fans disagree, unwilling to wear the colours of their fierce rivals AC Milan. The Curva Nord, Inter's ultras subsequently released a statement. "It is an insult to our history and traditions, that color belongs to another team. It's a real punch in the eye and another in the stomach that has left us breathless. We urge fans not to buy this clothing and they certainly shouldn't come to the stadium wearing it."

Manchester City fans are also unimpressed with their new maroon away shirt, that has more than a hint of Manchester United about it. They will boycott it and the club will be forced to take the hint.

Nobody wants to drive away Malaysian investment, the alternative does not bear thinking about. Equally, nobody wants to see Cardiff fans divided, so let's all respect each others opinions, get behind the team and continue to wear blue. If we unite in support of Cardiff City and tradition, hopefully common sense will prevail eventually.

From: Bedwas

From: Dinas Powys

From: Gloucestershire

From: Merthyr