Marvin Sordell and Craig Noone would have taken Cardiff City up automatically

By Gareth Rogers on Feb 1, 12 12:23 PM in Cardiff City

After spending all day yesterday reporting on a quiet final day of business for Cardiff City, it was amazing how excited I was by Malky's 11th hour bid for Marvin Sordell.
The strong yet skilful Londoner is a man whose praises I have been singing since he tore the Bluebirds' defence apart at Vicarage Road and to a lesser extent, the Cardiff City Stadium last season.

Move to 2min 15sec to Watch Marvin Sordell score a wondergoal for England u21 against Israel

Had things been more clear cut, I'm sure on Malky Mackay's arrival at Cardiff, Sordell and Will Buckley, who was already on his way to Brighton by then, would have been his first targets.
As it was, the free transfers of former proteges Don Cowie and Andrew Taylor were some of Mackay's best business in South Wales. But I'm convinced bringing in his pair of young wing stars would have had him (and the Cardiff fans) licking lips at the start of this season.
But Buckley became Brighton's marquee million pound signing in their shiny new Amex Stadium leaving Malky to bide his time for starlet Sordell, who started attracting high profile suitors playing as a central striker for Sean Dyche's Watford after goal machine Danny Graham moved to Swansea City.
The irony of last night's unsuccessful business was that while Bolton came in to gazump Cardiff City's incredible £3m secret bid, Malky had his phone switched off at St Mary's.

I just wonder what would have happened if the manager Cowie and Taylor travelled swiftly across the country to reunite with at Cardiff, had an opportunity to speak to the player he brought through the ranks at Waford before he signed on the dotted line at the Reebok Stadium.
I'm sure the straight talking Scot could have convinced the 20-year-old that a year from now Cardiff would be in a better place than the Premier League outfit he was destined to join.
But it wasn't to be and all fans can hope is the £3m on the table is left there by the Malaysian owners for magician Malky to use as and when he needs.

If Sordell had arrived at training this morning, I believe that Brighton flyer Craig Noone alongside him would have struck fear into the hearts of the Bluebirds' rivals and cemented them a place as top two finishers elect.
Noone, like Buckley, is a proper winger who has pace and can spread the play, which is the only obvious thing lacking in this eternally grafting Cardiff team.

Click here to watch Craig Noone score for Brighton against Peterborough United

Craig Conway, as he proved at Southampton last night, can do an admirable job when he's on form - but he can't do it alone and clearly needs help in providing the perfect passes for Kenny Miller and Joe Mason et al.
I am convinced that with this heavyweight wide power Kenny Miller would score more goals in the Championship than Danny Graham did last term.
But for now let's hope young Kadeem Harris can become a star while Makay uses his £3m to utilise the best on offer in loan market to spark the final Premier League push.

1 Comments

John McDonald said:

Gareth
WHat a load of nonsense!

If those two players had arrived it MAY have increased our chances of a top two finish

But writing articles on what might have been is a waste of space we may as well say "If Messi and Ronaldo came to Cardiff we will get promoted automatically"

Let's focus on the players we ARE LIKEL:Y TO ATTRACT

Leave a comment

Type the characters you see in the picture above.

From: Bedwas

From: Dinas Powys

From: Gloucestershire

From: Merthyr