A goal does not need a theme tune

By Scott Johnson on Feb 8, 12 09:31 AM in Cardiff City

Tweet me at @roathboy

I left the game on Saturday disappointed and a little bit cross. Cardiff's late collapse was not the cause, these things happen and it's been on the cards for a few weeks if truth be told. The source of my sorrow was Joe Mason's opening goal.

2470Joe-Mason.jpg

A well-worked effort, with Andrew Taylor crossing, Don Cowie heading across goal for Mason to prod home. With Kevin McNaughton, Aron Gunnarsson and Craig Conway also involved, it was the type of goal we have come to expect under Malky Mackay's stewardship.

What I was not prepared for was the musical accompaniment that greeted the strike.

Goals do not require a theme tune, fans do not need a reminder of when and how to celebrate. Supporting your team in the flesh is an instinctive and emotive experience, the ebb and flow of the game dictates your mood and reaction. It's not the NBA, we don't need music to sustain our interest or prompt involvement.

Click here to watch the goal and listen to the music

You can see where I'm going with this. Suffice to say I think it's cheap and nasty, what I'm interested in is whether I'm on my own or whether my opinion is that of the majority.

If you're indifferent to this tacky new amendment and think that there is more pressing concerns to get worked up about then fair enough. But if you feel as strongly as I do, you must stand up and be counted and make your feelings known, as it's an issue that we can influence.

Otherwise it's a slippery slope and before you know it Ali will be playing an organ and we'll all be chanting 'DEFENCE!' when the opposition are on the attack!

1 Comments

Graham Jones said:

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve been complaining to anyone who’ll listen since Saturday, and to many who won’t. Goal music is an aberration, good for no-one, even the hushed empty stadia and plastic fans where it’s used. And it’s all so ironic. In Ali we have the best PA in the leagues, with the best taste in music. And we’ve been told repeatedly how much our vocal support makes a difference. Now Ali is playing the second-rate Yes Man, pushing the company line (I can’t bear the thought that it’s actually his idea) and the club are trying to drown out our support. Will this message go to the club? Is a petition in order? Individual letters and emails? We have to nip this in the bud.

Leave a comment

Type the characters you see in the picture above.

From: Bedwas

From: Dinas Powys

From: Gloucestershire

From: Merthyr