October 2011 Archives

A couple brought together by their love of the beautiful game have celebrated 60 years of marriage.
Great Football fans Robert Knowles, 91, one of nine children from Riverside, and his wife Althea, 86, an only child from Rhiwbina, met on the terraces of Ninian Park watching their beloved Cardiff City.

470Couple.jpg

They both had season tickets and sat near one another in the ground. After one game, Althea's father arranged for Robert to walk his daughter home.
The couple's great-niece Louise Heirene said: "Althea used to go with her dad and Robert would go with his brother Bernard.
"Their seats were in rows close to each other.
"A friendship developed and Althea's dad set up that one day Robert would walk Althea home.
"She used to cycle but he had made her walk that day. From there a courtship developed."
Robert's sister Vera said he had earlier served on HMS George V as part of the Russian Convoys during World War II and it wasn't until he was 30 when he married.
The couple were wed in Llanishen Church and soon after they bought their first and only home, also in Llanishen, where they both worked for the Inland Revenue.
Robert and Althea used to enjoy walking and frequently went up Caerphilly Mountain and the Wenallt, Cardiff.
In their later years they used to enjoy walking around Roath Park lake, feeding the ducks and popping into the cafe.
They were also accomplished ballroom dancers and enjoyed attending the Sybil Marks School of Dancing, Cardiff, and are still proud to tell people they were awarded a certificate for their achievements on the dance floor.
The diamond couple now both reside in the Willowbrook House Nursing Home, St Mellons, Cardiff, where they were visited by their family as part of their celebrations.
Sister Beryl said: "They never had children so they have always been fairly devoted to one another."
Louise added: "We asked them about special memories and they said they had good memories of holidays, especially the two cruises they went on."

Former Cardiff City player Howard Madley has died, aged 72.
Pontypridd-born Madley started his career at Exeter City before moving on to Bristol Rovers, Cardiff City and Newport County.
He later played for a Worcester City team who won the Southern League title in 1968 before he returned to Wales and played for Merthyr Tydfil where he was named captain.
Madley was born and bred in Wales, growing up in Pontypridd, Mid Glamorgan, where he went to school with Welsh singing legend Tom Jones.

While the 11,000 or so Bluebirds at the Cardiff City Stadium triumphantly belted out the ever familiar 'que sera' song Tuesday night, debates were already raging about who the Bluebirds want to face in their first League Cup quarter final tie in 46 years.

470Cardiff.jpg

Trips to, Anfield, Old Trafford, The Etihad and Emirates Stadiums remain very much a possibility, but would fans prefer fellow Championship outfit Crystal Palace at home - with every chance of progression.

Personally, I've always wanted to see Cardiff run out at Old Trafford but let me know what you are hoping for on Saturday lunchtime's draw and explain your choice in the comments box below.

Have your say in our poll

The draw will be made at noon (ish) on Saturday 29th October and will be screen live on Sky Sports' Soccer Saturday programme.

Quarter final ties will be played on the week commencing November 28.

Follow me on Twitter @Roathboy

Cardiff visit Leeds on Sunday and it should be a cracker.

Having lost to Birmingham on Wednesday, Leeds are currently 5th in the table, one point ahead of Cardiff who occupy 9th place.

It will struggle to live up to previous fixtures between the two clubs though, two of which were simply stunning.

470Cardiff-Leeds.jpg

Icelandic midfield star Aron Gunnarsson has suddenly hit the goal trail with three strikes in a week.
But until his poaching effort at Peterborough most Bluebirds fans saw the Iceman as a holding midfielder - not that he knew that.
When I quizzed him on his first goal last week, I happened to ask if he was planning more assaults on Championship opposition's goals to add to the handful of goals in his career so far.

1470Gunnarsson8.jpg

And what happened next seemed to be a beautiful moment of sudden realisation for the Scandinavian.
As you will see in the video, I asked Aron whether his first goal for Cardiff City would see him continue to get into the box on the goal trail and his initial reaction was one of complete shock.
Then, after taking a moment to compose himself, the midfielder replied with: "My favourite position is in the holding role but Macca (Steve McPhail) coming on allowed me to get further forward but it's up to the gaffer where he wants me to play" but seemed to be dreaming of a glorious goalscoring run.

Within days, the penny seemed to have well and truly dropped and a barnstorming performance saw the 22-year-old add a 25-yard stunner and another poachers classic to his paltry six goal career tally against a Barnsley team who struggled to handle him.
It was as if he'd experienced some kind of goal scoring epiphany during our short chat at the Cardiff City Stadium.

2470Gunnarsson.jpg

Now I'm not claiming any responsibility for Gunnar's sudden surge up the goal scoring chart but he's certainly proved that he has the ability to score all kinds of goals when called upon and many more strikes from outside the box will see him taking John Buchanan like status in Cardiff.

Have you been impressed with the goals contribution from Cardiff City's midfield this season? Have your say in the comments box below.

1 2 3 4 5 Next

From: Bedwas

From: Dinas Powys

From: Gloucestershire